InsulFoam Geofoam was used as a lightweight soil replacement for this underground tunnel and parking structure. The engineers determined that the excessive weight of soil (120 pcf) would place unacceptable dead loads upon the sloped portion of the tunnel transition to the parking garage and would cause differential settlement. Custom cut tapered Geofoam blocks were place on top of the sloped section to offset the backslope and level the plane so that flat blocks could be installed for the subsequent courses. A fire lane was required to be paved through this area on top of the Geofoam so the designers called for EPS39.
Upon completion of the tunnel, the owner was so impressed by the installation process and the benefits of weight reduction that EPS15 was used to create contours on top of the parking garage to resemble the rolling hills of the surrounding landscape. This further reduced the dead loads placed upon the structure and provide for a beautiful park like setting with pedestrian trails.
Geofoam Advantages over other Fill Materials
- Lightweight – Minimize preloading, surcharging and staged construction
- Weather Resistant – Withstands freeze-thaw cycles, moisture and road salts,
- Doesn’t Settle – Less structural inconsistencies
- Insect and Mold Resistant – Will not sustain mold or mildew growth, termite / ant repellant additive available
- Manufactured to Meet Your Job Specifications – Multiple densities, various block sizes available
- Ease of Installation – Lightweight, no heavy equipment needed, cuts easily with a hot wire or saw
- Environmentally Friendly – 100% Recyclable, No HCFCs or Formaldehyde